Monday, November 9, 2009

Nowhere Else Than Here

(Day Nine in my Month of Blessings)


I would be remiss if I did mention somewhere in all of my many blessings how tremendously grateful I am to be an American. It may sound like a cliché but it is true and needs to be acknowledged.

I am not one to get into a political debate and I won’t do that now, but even in light of the many challenges our government currently faces, I would rather be nowhere else than here. I can choose where I live, what I do for a living, whom I marry, what my spiritual beliefs are. Not to mention the fact that - right now, as I type - there are men and women out there fighting for my freedom and to make the world a better and safer place to live.

Because I am an American and that is all I know – other than brief travels to visit other countries - I am often ignorant to a lot of what goes on in other parts of the world. And frankly, sometimes it is extremely hard to consider the circumstances others are facing. Watching Slumdog Millionaire was about as close as I got in the last year and that was only at my brother’s urging (I was ready to kill him for making me go see it ten minutes into the darn thing).

It’s just hard to know anything other than what I am – American. But in the brief glints and glimmers of other realities I perceive out there in this big, wide world, I am always glad to be where I am and to be able to make the choices I make every day. I have a wonderful life, in a beautiful country, that affords me much. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment