Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Crock-pot Queen

(Day Fourteen in my Month of Blessings)

I am well known in my household – and in my circle of friends – for being quite the accomplished crock-pot master. And for someone who doesn’t particularly like to cook, the efficiency and ease of the crock-pot is all-too appealing. For me, there is nothing better than dumping five or six ingredients in the crock-pot in the morning, knowing full well that by late afternoon, a warm, wholesome, and hearty meal is awaiting us. All I have to do is throw in a salad or vegetable and bread, and we’re ready. It doesn’t get any better or easier than that.

So, today, I’m thankful for my trusty crock-pot and the handful of recipes that see me and my family through many a cold night. Two of my favorite recipes – White Chicken Chili and Carrot Bacon Soup - make an appearance at our table regularly.

White Chicken Chili
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
Chicken broth
White beans (1-2 cans, drained)
Container of fresh salsa
Shredded cheese to sprinkle on top when serving

Put first four ingredients in crock-pot and cook 6 hours on low. Then, pull chicken apart with fork. Serve w/ shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

Carrot Bacon Soup
Small bag of peeled baby carrots
1 potato, cubed
1 onion, chopped
Chicken broth
5 pieces uncooked bacon

Put all ingredients in crock-pot and cook 6 hours on low. Puree’ ingredients in small batches in blender. Enjoy!

I also have a great crock-pot cookbook: How To Make Love and Dinner at the Same Time. It has some delicious recipes but it’s also a really fun read – a great gift for a spouse, friends, or newlyweds!

No comments:

Post a Comment