Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Art of Giving Thanks

(Day One in my Month of Blessings)

I wrote the following poem as one of Singing Heart Press’ cards for the holiday season. I thought it was an appropriate opening to my month of thanks giving.

The Art of Giving Thanks

Count your blessings.
Illuminate the good in your life.
Find ways to praise each day.
Acknowledge spirit’s presence.

Forgive past hurts.
Let others know they are in your heart.
Breathe out old energy.
Breathe in love.

Open your heart.
Quiet the chatter.
Notice the details.
Give grace a resting spot in you.

Smile at a stranger.
Compliment freely.
Reach out to others.
Conduct random acts of kindness.

Share your gifts with the world.
Be the kind of person you most cherish;
Tell that person how much you cherish them.
Be authentically you.


I believe Thanks-giving should be a state of mind and not just a once a year observance. I try to cultivate ways of saying “thank you” to myself, others, the world, God, the sun, the trees - beauty wherever I find it - every day. If not, I feel the weight of an ungrateful heart and it’s as heavy as any burden – real or imagined. I want to notice and be grateful.


Today it was an absolutely perfect fall day: cool but sunny, with a crisp cornflower blue sky and the smell of fallen leaves in the air; an invigorating run with Taggart beside me on his bike; a spiritual pep talk at church with my mom; a renewed commitment to my writing. The first day of November was a perfect, ordinary fall day. I am so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment