Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother’s Day Every Day

Yesterday was a perfectly ordinary day. There was no sleeping in (though I tried!). No breakfast in bed. Not even a card from my husband (which I promise I’m o.k. with!). So ordinary, it could have been any Sunday, yet it was an absolutely perfect day.

I made my kids pancakes and read part of the paper (only the parts I like – the ads, the Living section, and the Home section), went for a run, and then went to church with my mom. When we got home we decided we’d pick up sandwiches and go have a picnic at the park. We picnicked, looked out for ticks, watched the kids play, and enjoyed a cool spring day. Headed home and Sage fell asleep so I knew I’d be able to sneak a nap in too (!).

After a relaxing afternoon, we headed to Whole Foods and got easy dinner stuff. Chicken sausages, broccoli, salad fixings, and rice. Home to quickly pull dinner together (a feat my husband makes look so simple) and another enjoyable spring dinner on the deck.

Here’s what I loved about the day. I got to feed myself physically, spiritually, and emotionally by exercising, going to church, and being with my family (my mom, our friend Steve, my brother Chris, Jeff, and the kids). We spent time outside, we relaxed, we ate well and we laughed. It was a mixture of simple pleasures and Meaghan essentials that made the day perfect in its ordinariness.

And not to disregard the gifts I did receive and that made the weekend special (fun stuff from my mom always – a necklace, a book, soap; a Japanese maple from Jeff; a sweet homemade card from Taggart with a picture he drew of me that was kind-of scary . . . ), the best gifts were the intangibles.

So, I’m thinking we need to make more of our every days a mother’s day. Indulge in simple pleasures. Spend time outside with our kids. Go on a picnic. Nap (when we can!). Eat well. Find ways to connect with ourselves and our God. Go for a walk.

Here’s what I know. If we honor ourselves by choosing those things we know nourish us, we are better moms, happier people, more whole souls. So, as moms who juggle constantly and make hundreds of decisions on a daily basis, giving ourselves the essentials we need makes perfect sense. Let’s commit to giving ourselves what we need and asking for those things too (“Honey, do you mind if I take a quick walk?”): let’s know we deserve everyday to be a mother’s day. To days where we are full and happy. To being great moms and even better people. Good to and for others because we’re good to ourselves . . .

Yes. Mother’s Day every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment