Monday, December 22, 2014

Feeling the Joy

 

Goals for the Season:

* Keep it all in perspective
* Remember the why to the season
* Enjoy the details
* Be joyous
* Be grateful
* Be light

At this time of year, there’s all the talk of a picture-perfect, Christmas card holiday. Everyone smiling and happy. Feeling big and loving and kind. Getting along. A Norman Rockwell picture, some like to say.  And honestly, I have been so blessed in the past year, that I am claiming that kind of holiday. We have recreated some of the traditions we love and we’ve let go of some others that no longer serve us. We, all four of us, are healthy, happy, and so very well.  We need not a thing. Our cups runneth over. So, so very grateful.

We’ve slimmed down our giving to causes with real need. We volunteered together as a family for Room in the Inn (a highlight of the season for sure!). We even aspired, like so many other sweet families at this time of year, to the perfect holiday picture with our family photo shoot. This, by the way, was much to husband and son’s chagrin. “Why do we have to wear white shirts?? This is so stupid!!” said son  (not husband, who knows better than to tread on that thin ice . . .).

The photos – taken by my brilliant and talented mom – turned out great.  Even Tractor posed well, a central figure in our family unit, he could not be forgotten; needed to be represented and accounted for – front and center!

Yep. We survived the family photo shoot and it took all of fifteen minutes. I chose two photos from the afternoon and ordered a beautiful card that same night with a gold foiled “joyful” announcing our holiday spirits and good cheer, our thankfulness for our great good.

The cards arrived a week or so later. I’d already purchased my holiday postage. (And got a ticket on the way to the post office for that . . . rolled through a stop sign while I was lost in my holiday to-do thoughts. I could have been mad but since I am trying a new zen Christmas attitude this year, I made myself repeat in my head and heart: “Thank you Officer for keeping me safe. For reminding me to slow down and to STOP at this time of year. To not be distracted. To be fully present. If one small ticket is the price I pay for this reminder, so be it . . . Thank you.”).

As I prepared to address the cards, I lit a candle. I sat by the lovingly decorated Christmas tree aglow in its colorful lights. Assembled the list, stamps, return address stamper, and pens.  Sage sat across from me. I did all the postage and return address stamping first and then wrote a short note on the initial cards and signed our names. I did about 10 and realized I could barely see what I was writing so I moved a floor lamp closer. (I think I’m getting to that certain age where “readers” are becoming more necessary but I haven’t gone there yet. But may. VERY SOON . . . like I have a feeling they may show up in my stocking since Santa’s omniscient and my vision’s waning.  Just saying!).

So. With that good light now directly over my right shoulder, I picked up one of our happy little family – joy, joy – Christmas cards to admire . . . the smiles, the lighting, my precious kids, my handsome husband, the adorable dog . . . And OH!  I think I see something I shouldn’t. Wished I hadn't. Bringing the card closer (“readers” where are you??), I confirmed my suspicion.

SHIT. SHIT. SHIT.

TRACTOR'S LIPSTICK IS SHOWING.  O.K., you really have to look hard. But still. For it to be showing at all . . . NO GOOD. And if you are not with me yet, I’m talking about his PRIVATES.  Front and center on our CHRISTMAS CARD. I mentioned the “Joyful” written in gold foil across the front of the card?  Well, dear sweet Tractor was clearly feeling the JOY.

 I, on the other hand, was NOT.
“Sage!” I say. “You’re not going to believe this. We have a problem. A big problem. (She is studiously working on her card to great-Grandma Mundy when I interrupt her with my burning news flash.) “What Mom?” she says as she walks over. 
Me: Look at this picture, do you notice anything?
Her:  Nope, looks good.
Me:  Look closer.  Look at Trackie . . .
Her: Awwww, sweet Trackie.  He’s adorable . . .
Me: Why yes he is BUT LOOK AT HIS LIPSTICK . . .
(Eyes sideways to me, she looks down again.)
Her: Oh my Gosh! OH MY GOSH!
(Followed by hysterical laughing. Hysterical.  And three more OMGoshes and then . . . “DAD?? TAGGART?? COME HERE!!”) 
Me: No, no, no. Let’s not get them involved. We got this.  They don’t even need to know. You can hardly see it, right?
(She just looks at me and laughs. And in enters Jeff.) 
Jeff: What’s up?
Sage:  Dad! Look at this.  You won’t believe it!
Jeff (holding said card under the light): What?
Sage:  Look closer, at Tractor. Look down at Tractor Dad.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA (That’s Jeff and Sage cracking up . . . and me looking at the two of them, maybe with only the slightest hint of a smile . . .)

Me (to husband):  If you tell anyone, I will be SO mad. Seriously. I won’t speak to you. This is not funny. Do you hear me?? Not funny. Tell anyone and you’re mud.

Clearly, my zen Christmas spirit left me momentarily. It happens to the best of us. But then, one of my favorite lines came to me and righted my holiday world once again:

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly. 

Now, I’m pretty certain I’m not growing any angel wings anytime soon but in aspiring to be a better, fuller, lighter version of myself this holiday season, the reminder to laugh more and make light of situations that we can make light of was an important one.  And it aligns perfectly with my goals for the season. Imagine that.

May we all remember the details that matter this holiday season.

And laugh, or let go of, the details that don’t.

Merry Christmas from our family to yours – and a very joyous fa-la-la-la from our beloved Tractor!

p.s. That is our card up top - but I got very busy with the smudge tool so there is no lipstick to see.  I thought I'd spare you that minor detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment